Feel free to explore SMA's Technology classes and projects the cadets have finished!
Mr. Farmer, who has been an Arlington Park resident for over twenty years and was the
President for the Arlington Park Neighborhood Association for several years. He also has
over thirty years of community organizing experience. He began his work with the American Indian
Movement in South Dakota and nationally with the Nuclear Freeze Campaign. He then went to Washington
D.C. where he worked with Congressman Owens from New York. Later, he joined forces with Cesar Chavez
to help organize migrant Farm Workers in California and Chicago. Professionally he is a technologist
with a long list of certifications from Cisco, Microsoft and others. Currently, he teaches a number
of technology classes and is a coach for the US Air Force CyberPatriots at Sarasota Military Academy.
• 2015: Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Amateur Radio License
• 2014: Air Force CyberPatriots & Civil Air Patrol disaster recovery preparedness
• 2011: Center for Technology Training CCNA
• 2010: Center for Technology Training, Comptia Security Plus
• 2009: CNIE, Network Instruments University, Minnetonka, MN
• 2008: TeleVantage Call Center, Vertical University, Cambridge, MA
• 2007: WAVE, Vertical University, Sarasota, FL
• 2006: Instant Office, Vertical University, Santa Clara, CA
• 2005: Comdial MP-5000: Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), Sarasota, FL
• 2003: Cisco Network Academy CISCO CCNA Certified Instructor CCNA-1
• 2003: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) 2003 (Microsoft ID #1588328)
• 2002: IBM Netvista – vendor certification
• 2002: Compaq Proliant – vendor certification
• 2001: Cisco Network Academy, Fundamentals of UNIX
• 2001: Florida Teacher Certificate, Florida Department of Education, Certificate #: 9901690
• 2000: 16 Credits towards Master’s Degree, Vocational Education, USF
• 2000: A+ Comptia, Certification
• 1999: MCSE, Keiser College, Sarasota, FL
• 1999: Advanced Certification in Scalar Tape Back-up, Computer Associate
• 1986: Bachelor of Arts Degree, (3.70GPA), Long Island University, NY
• Network Operating Systems: Cisco, Microsoft Windows Server, LINUX
• VMWARE Network Monitoring: HP OpenView, Network Instruments Observer
• Nimbus Network Hardware: Cisco, HP Procurve, IBM Netvista, DELL
• SUN Client Operating Systems: Linux, Windows 7, Apple Macintosh
• 20+ years of experience in a supporting client server applications
• Seven years experience in a global network operations
• Excellent written and verbal presentation skills
• PBX Peripheral Gateway configuration experience on a variety of VOIP platforms
• Familiarity with most current Telecom protocols and network security issues
• Ability to perform data packet analysis to distinguish server problems and security issues
• Working knowledge of telephone transmission facilities and provisioning
Computer Science Instructor, System Administrator, 2008 to Present
Sarasota Military Academy, Sarasota, FL
I administrate a Windows 2012 Active Directory Server; UNIX based Firewall and a VM Ware Server with hundreds of users. I also teach a programming class and manage the US Air Force CyberPatriot Team here at SMA High School.
Senior Technical Support Engineer, 7/2003 – 8/2008
Vertical Communications, Sarasota, FL, www.vertical.com
I provided technical support and engineering on network infrastructure systems that integrated voice over Internet protocol (VOIP) and data systems using Cisco Routers and Microsoft Servers. I supported channel partners and customer’s product deployments and troubleshooting. I also provided sales engineering and corporate training for the Sales Department.
Adjunct Professor, 8/2003 – 8/2008
State College of Florida, Bradenton, FL
I delivered two classes per semester: Cisco CCNA under the Cisco Network Academy Program & Fundamentals of Linux.
Computer Networking Instructor, 8/2001 – 8/2003
Manatee Technical College, Bradenton, FL
I teached COMPTIA A+ Computer Certification and Network + Certification courses in a post-secondary environment.
Data Center Technologist, 6/1997 – 8/2001
Arthur Andersen, LLC, Sarasota, FL
I provided the operational requirements of a Worldwide-distributed network of over 400 Compaq Proliant Servers, SUN HP Open View and the Windows Operating Systems. I worked with a Global Technology Organization team that provided 24/7 proactive monitoring with an immediate response orientation in the Data Center and branch offices. My responsibilities included equipment procurement and deployment of computers and network infrastructure hardware and connectivity. Developed monitoring servers to view hardware and TCP/IP connectivity on network segments. I provided data backup and restoration services utilizing ADIC Scalar Technology. I ensured business continuity plans by providing a proactive approach to maintaining maximum up-time in a data center environment. I enforced add-move-change processes between business groups, developers and customers. Provided connectivity on UNIX payroll system and provided infrastructure support & backup services. I also provided statistical historical trending useful for understanding down time.
Desktop Specialist /Graphic Artist, 5/1993 – 5/1995
Typogram, New York, NY
I managed production for a 24/7 hour service bureau, 27 workstations and twelve output devices. I maintained on-site service department, graphic imaging services, and provided retail technical support and graphic art expertise in Adobe Photoshop and other pre-press applications.